Preparing the MinGW VM
It's technically possible to install MinGW into your first Virtual Machine along with Cygwin, but it's recommended to set up another clean VM to ensure your cross-compiler is correctly decoupled from cygwin1.dll.
- Create new virtual machine. Assign at least 20 Gb of virtual disk space and at least 2 Gb of virtual RAM to the newly created virtual machine.
- Install Windows (preferrably XP SP2) into the virtual machine and enter default username without non-English characters and spaces (preferrably "User"). Filesystem of disk C: should be NTFS.
- After installation of virtual OS, install Oracle Guest Additions and enable Shared Folder with a host system.
- Download MinGW Installer and install MinGW (choose the following packages: "C compiler" and "C++ compiler" from "MinGW compiler suite", "MSYS Basic System" and "MinGW Developer Toolkit"). It's recommended to install MinGW to default installation directory "C:\MinGW".
- When done, shutdown the MinGW VM and take snapshot "SNAP-A".